Part Time Salary: TBD
Bury Health & Social Care
Post Title: Brokerage Assistant
Post Hours: 37 Hours
Post Grade: 9 (estimated, not moderated)
Special Conditions of Service:
- To work in areas across the borough within normal working hours (core hours 8:45 am – 5:00pm)
- Flexi time scheme in operation
- To work outside of normal office hours where required e.g., to attend evening meetings
- Ability to travel in and outside Bury
- Car allowance payable where applicable in line with the policies
Purpose and Objectives of Post:
Our client are committed to ensuring that the services it commissions on behalf of its customers are of high quality and provide value for money to its citizens.
The Brokerage Officer has a key role to play in ensuring the service undertakes effective placement of people within commissioned care at home, care home and respite services amongst others. They will ensure any placements evidence transparency, value for money and are carried out with high quality services on behalf of the citizens of Bury. The key objectives of the post are:
- Co-ordinate to, arrange /purchase packages of care or support, liaising with Care Managers and providers to ensure individual service user needs are effectively and appropriately met, in accordance with the support plan and the extensive demands of the service, with a high level of autonomy.
- To deal with complex and non-complex queries, issues and complaints relating to services supporting people in their own homes (care at home), care homes and respite care, finance, and delayed care.
- To be responsible for service ordering and provider payments in a timely manner to prevent provider failure.
- To ensure that finance is correct so as not to cause payment issues for providers and customers.
- To ensure that RIPA is managed with Information Governance due to the high level content of personal identifiable information, and store and dispose of accordingly in line with policy and demand.
- To manage the mental and emotional demands of the service by utilising interpersonal skills and resilience and negotiation with providers and stakeholders.
- To understand the impact the brokerage service has on internal and external survives and stakeholders and be aware that there will be support of people end of life and their families which have emotional demands.
- To deal with actions that require immediate actions in the absence of the Brokerage senior.
- To monitor provider capacity daily and use initiative flag up potential risks to the Brokerage Senior.
- To contribute to the quality assurance of social care providers
- To contribute to the development and implementation of procurement processes and systems.
- To maintain databases using standard IT packages
- To provide advice and support to Council Officers and Providers
- To develop positive relationships with providers.
- To reconcile, audit and monitor charges for contracted services
- To undertake negotiations with providers including individual care home package costs and customer top ups
- Responsible for the delivery of ‘service brokerage’, ensuring that appropriate services available under contract are matched to individuals with assessed needs within agreed timescales
- To contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of record keeping systems and processes to ensure effective monitoring of services.
- Liaise regularly with providers to collect up-to-date information about their capacity to deliver commissioned services and inform your line manager about any gaps in provision.
- Record, investigate and sensitively resolve customer and provider enquiries, referring complex matters to the Brokerage Supervisor for advice or action as appropriate.
- To contribute to the evaluation of provider performance
- To ensure that brokered package registers and spreadsheets are maintained accurately
- Support the Brokerage Supervisor in providing regular (at least weekly) reports to Senior Managers within OCO about care placements, market capacity and risks to any un-placed customers
- To contribute to the improvement and development of commissioning and brokerage processes, and to implement agreed changes
- To report failures in contract performance or compliance to the Brokerage Supervisor or Integrated Community Commissioning Team. Act as a point of contact for all people contacting the brokerage service providing any immediate practical help as required.
- Provide advice, guidance, updates and information about the brokerage service and redirect people to other departments/organisations where appropriate
- Display sensitivity to vulnerable service users when dealing with their queries and updating them on the brokering of their package.
- Communicate in an appropriate, open, accurate and straightforward way, respecting confidential information in line with the authority’s policies
- To maintain a register of complaints regarding services provided under contract and escalating them to the appropriate team.
- To undertake project work as requested
- To produce reports and statistics as requested
- To be flexible in supporting colleagues during busy times and periods of absence, including dealing with enquiries, taking messages and providing any other assistance as required.
- Responsible for auditing, monitoring, checking, and processing payments for contracted services and assist in the monitoring of budgets on contracts with total value in excess of £10 million.
- Responsible for the maintenance of accurate records within the external provider payment system to ensure correct payments are made and produce relevant reports.
- To provide advice and guidance to members of the public in relation to internal procedures including charges for care at home, care home and respite placements.
- To contribute to the development of a departmental approach to commissioning.
- To assist with the implementation of Bury’s commissioning policies, procedures and processes
- Record action taken via appropriate mechanisms including Care management System
- Support Social Work Team members with sourcing appropriate placements and managing difficult to broker packages