Senior Support Worker
Full Time Salary: £21,000 - £27,000
Cheshire Health & Social Care
To work as a senior member of the team in the provision of care and support services for people with Autism, Learning Disabilities and/or behaviours that may challenge; which aims to maximise the potential of individuals in line with ordinary life principles.
May be required to take charge of the home/service in absence of the Registered Manager and/or Service Manager and to undertake on-call duties.
SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Proven ability to work on own initiative and work as part of a team
- Knowledge and understanding of issues relating to people with learning disabilities and Autism
- A commitment to a service which provides support to vulnerable individuals, and which is respectful and according to the individuals’ wishes
- Good communication skills (written and verbal). Ability to communicate effectively with Service Users, colleagues, family members, Managers and other persons with a legitimate interest in the project
- Commitment to training and development
- Car driver, willing to use own car as required (required business insurance pre induction shifts) and ability to drive minibus where applicable
- On call duties
- Flexible and innovative approach to working
- Knowledge of care planning systems
- Decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Commitment to the aims & objectives of the service and company as a whole
- Self-motivation and flexibility
- Knowledge and commitment regarding Equal Opportunities
- A commitment to undertake training and development as required
- Honesty, reliability and trustworthiness
- Commitment to Equality & Diversity as part of your role
- Assist the Managers in the implementation of the philosophies and policies of the organisation.
- Assist the Managers in ensuring that each service user has their needs met through effective assessment and care planning
- Review and monitor care plans/ contribute to review reports as directed
- Support and participate in Service User’s social, life-long learning plans and recreational activities in line with care plans, trips out and holidays.
- Act as a Key worker to specified individual Service Users, taking on responsibility for specified areas of care and support.
- This includes ensuring all medical needs are met and supporting the Service User to advocate his/her own needs and wishes.
- Facilitate and support Service Users in decision making. Promote choice and involvement. Utilise service users own Communication method, i.e. PECS
- Ensure all Staff Members work in a way that demonstrates an understanding and commitment to the rights of people with learning disabilities.
- Consistently apply non-aversive strategies developed in response to challenging behaviours, and contribute to the review and development of any such strategies.
- Encourage and enable Service Users to maintain acceptable levels of personal and environmental hygiene.
- Liaise with other agencies/professionals as necessary in conjunction with Managers.
- Record information about Service Users and ensure communication with Staff Members.
- Once trained, administer medication in accordance with Company policies and procedures, and ensure that medical emergencies are dealt with appropriately.
- Adhere to the Company’s medication policy at all times.
- Ensure that Service Users’ personal property and clothing is maintained to a high standard and report any requirements to the Managers.
- Promote good practice in the team in accordance with ordinary life principles, and in line with all Company policies and procedures.
- Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with Service Users’ personal and financial affairs, and avoid abuse of the privileged relationship that exists with Service Users.
- Participate in Staff and Service User meetings as and when required.
- Maintain appropriate records as directed
Human Resources (HR):
- Direct Staff Members in their duties in the absence of the Managers, ensuring that all required tasks are completed.
- Delegate tasks to Support Workers and monitor their effective implementation in conjunction with the Managers.
Training and Development:
- Assist the Managers the induction of new Staff Members and the provision of in-house training, as delegated to do so.
- Maintain professional knowledge and competence.
- Attend mandatory training days/courses, on or off site, as and when required.
Health & Safety:
- Report immediately to the Managers, any illness of an infectiousnature or accident incurred by a Service User, colleague, self or another.
- Understand, and ensure the implementation of, the company’s Health and Safety policy, and Emergency and Fire procedures.
- Follow and undertake risk assessments
- Report to the Managers and the Handyperson, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
- Promote safe working practice within the organisation.
- Assist in maintaining financial records in line with Company policies and procedures.
- Assist the Managers in reviews of service delivery standards, and in developing best policy and practice that meets Service User’s needs.
- Undertake monthly quality audit on specific services
- Carry out administrative tasks as and when required.
- Make Visitors feel welcome. Provide refreshments/assistance as and when required.
- Promote and ensure the good reputation of the organisation.
- Ensure that all information of confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties as stated in the confidentiality policy and Data protection policy.
- Notify the Managers as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty.
- Undertake on-call duties as directed
- Ensure the security of the organisation is maintained at all times.
- Adhere to all Company policies and procedures within the defined timescales.
- Ensure all equipment is clean and well maintained.
- Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you.
For more information, please call T: 0161 447 9181